Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Blogging From the Phone! + Made it to Plett

This will more than likely be short and sweet, considering I'm blogging from my phone now.

Yesterday drove up to Plettenburg Bay, where I'll be staying until Friday morning.  It's gorgeous here, despite the fact that I have to hike up a hill to shower.  Went shooting yesterday at Jukani, a cat sanctuary, where I got to come eye to eye with lions, leopards, tigers, and pumas, among others.  It was a wonderful experience, just incredibly sad to see these creature behind bars, knowing their numbers are few in the wild.

Today called for an early morning and a drive about thirty minutes away to Knysna Elephant Park.  This was a truly unforgettable experience, and not just because I was almost walked over by an elephant.  Seeing these beautiful, giant creatures just doing their thing was fabulous. 

And yeah, almost was squished by one.  I should not assume elephants respond the same as horses do.

They don't.

Subsequently, had chocolate cake for second breakfast. No regrets there.

Spent the afternoon photographing monkeys and birds at Monkeyland and Birds of Eden, which made for a lovely time.  So many baby monkeys! I couldn't get over how adorable they all were. Plus learned lemurs aren't the most clever of creature; watched one struggle to smell a leaf, then fall over.

It's okay, buddy. We've all been there.

The birds were gorgeous.  Walked through an enclosure with free flying birds all around me, creating a symphony of calls and wing flutter.  Just an all around wonderful experience.  I attempted to talk with an African gray parrot.  Did not succeed.  Can't wait to see how these photos come out, though!

It has been a busy couple of days and has left me quite exhausted. But it's worth it.

Always is.

-K.

PS. Pictures soon! :)

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the pics of all the "cats." Chocolate cake for breakfast, huh?? Why not? :) First a baby cheetah and now baby monkeys... Horses and elephants...kind of like apples and oranges, yeah? haha... :) And lemurs...I think we've all met a few lemurs in our lifetime. :) Glad to hear you're having such a great time! Can't wait to muddle through all the pics when you get back! :) We miss you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are having a great time. Loving the posts. Glad you didn't get squished by an elephant. Haha. Can't wait to here your stories when you get back.

    ReplyDelete